Each clinical semester begins with intensive classes taught on-campus which may include weekend days.
The Civil Field Placement Clinic provides students with the opportunity to explore career interests and work closely with and be mentored by experienced practicing lawyers. Students receive academic credit for part-time or full time on-site legal work performed under the supervision of practicing lawyers in private or non-profit law offices, governmental and administrative agencies, public interest organizations, or corporate legal departments which specialize in the practice of civil law. Students focus on civil litigation and/or transactional practice. Students will gain experience in lawyering skills, legal process and different substantive areas of law. Field placements include: Corporate and Business Practice; Environmental; Human Rights; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Law; Real Estate and Land Use; Personal Injury; and Sports and Entertainment.
- Business Entities; Evidence; and Professional Responsibility.
- Additional prerequisites apply to field placements in specific practice areas:
- Corporate and Business Practice, Intellectual Property, Sports & Entertainment: Business Entities; Professional Responsibility; one transactional drafting workshop or Civil Pre-Trial Practice.
- Real Estate, Land Use, Environmental: Evidence; Professional Responsibility; one land use, development or environmental course; and one workshop.
- International Law, Immigration, Human Rights: Professional Responsibility; one international law course; and one workshop.
- Personal Injury Litigation: Torts; Evidence; Professional Responsibility; Civil Pre-Trial Practice; and Trial Advocacy.