The Office of Career and Professional Development (OCPD) provides students exceptional and exclusive opportunities for internships, fellowships and post-graduate careers. Working closely with alumni, faculty and student organizations, the OCPD designs seminars, workshops and panel discussions to give students exposure to job opportunities, professionalism and the practice of law.
Among the OCPD's resources are its career advisors, all of whom have law degrees and are available to meet with students and graduates in individualized counseling sessions to discuss job search strategies and answer questions during the job search process. Each OCPD staff member has a unique and valuable background, including experience in the career planning field, public interest work, and large law firm practice. The staff is available to meet on an individual basis to discuss personal goals and career development strategy.
The OCPD coordinates interviews with employers both on- and off-campus. We provide interview skills training, advice on business etiquette, assistance with resume preparation, and counseling on all aspects of the job search process. The OCPD also provides students with many other services:
- Employment Opportunity Series: periodic lunch presentations featuring attorneys from firms, government agencies, public interest organizations and corporations to speak with students about their legal careers
- Individual Counseling Sessions: covering resume and cover letter writing, interviewing and networking skills, job search strategies, and other topics.
- Job Postings: thousands of summer and permanent opportunities are posted every year. Postings are updated daily, and are advertised for students, 24-hours a day through our web-based job posting and recruiting system, Symplicity.
- Job/Career Fairs: a number of job fairs throughout the year. Students interested in getting exposure to employers outside of Florida are strongly encouraged to attend these job fairs.
- Mock Interviews: students can participate in mock interview sessions with members of our staff.
- On-Campus Interviews (OCI): law firms, government agencies, corporations, and public interest employers interview students throughout each Fall and Spring OCI Session.
- Panels and Programs: scheduled throughout the year and include skills training and practice area information. Often our alumni participate, providing excellent networking opportunities for students.
- Public Interest Law: public interest recruiting, job fairs, post-graduate options, and pro bono opportunities.