Top of Page
Skip main navigation

Student FAQs

1. How long is a class session/semester?

Ten weeks. There are four class sessions/semesters per year (Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring).

2. How do I register?

It is the student's responsibility to register him or herself for classes. Registration is done by the student via NSU's Webstar website ( during an allotted registration period. You can view a step by step screen shot showing how to register by visiting:

To find out which classes you will need to register for, please visit your program's Student Services page, under "Registration Information," under your anticipated graduation year.

You will receive registration reminder emails alerting you to registration periods. Students register four times a year, for each ten week session.

3. Where do I find book information for my upcoming classes?

Textbook information may be found by going to the NSU Bookstore's website, Select the "Find Textbooks" option, located under the Textbooks tab.

4. Class Attendance Policy/Dropping a Class/Appealing a Grade

It is the student's responsibility to register and withdraw himself from his courses using the Webstar system.

Simply not attending class or informing the instructor or staff of intention to withdraw is not an official withdrawal. This will result in a grade of "F" for the student.

To Drop a Class - In the Webstar registration screen, in the left hand column, 'Action' area, there is a window with a down arrow; click on the arrow. A message should appear indicating 'Web Drop', click this and then at the bottom of the form click on 'Submit Changes'.

If a student never attended the course or never actively participated in the course, the instructor must enter an 'unearned' failing (F) grade, 0.0 hours attended, and the first day of the class as the last date of attendance in Webstar. Since the student did not receive services from the University, the Registrar's Office will process a drop for the student; however, the 'unearned' failing (F) grade will remain on the student's academic record. This determination must be made within 20 days of the last day of the term. Students will no longer be permitted to petition and receive a retroactive drop, withdrawal, or refund for a course after the end of the term.

There is no grade appeal process at the Law Center. Final grades are only changed for calculation errors.

For required live chats, professors attempt to find days/times that work for all students. In the event that a day/time chosen does not work for the student, the chats are recorded and the student will be asked to post or respond via email regarding the topics discussed in the chat.

5. If I start as a Full Time student, may I switch to Part time Status?

You can attend part time (one class per semester). If you decide not to follow the specified courses in your degree plan, you will be extending your degree plan by one year. Each class is offered only once a year, therefore, if you decide not to participate in a course, you will have to wait until the course is offered again the following year. Please advise the program office if you are switching to part time.

6. What is considered full time? What is considered half time (part time)?

Full time is a minimum of four credit hours per term (typically two courses). Half time status is defined as 1.5 credit hours.

7. How long do I have to complete the degree?

Typically, if a student is full time, the program will be completed in two years. A student has five calendar years from starting the program to complete the degree. If after five years, you have not graduated, you will need to retake courses that were taken before that point in time. Leaves of absences taken during the course of the program, even for medical reasons, do not extend the five year time limit.

8. Can I access a course which has ended to view an assignment/syllabus/etc?

No. It is university policy that once a course closes at the end of the term, a student may no longer access the course materials. We recommend that, while in the course, a student print out and/or save any assignments, syllabi, course materials, notes, etc that the student may wish to refer to after the course closes.

9. At the end of a semester, how do I view my grades?

  • Enter Webstar (
  • Click on Student Financial Services and Registration
  • Click on Student Records
  • Click on Official Grade Report
  • Select the term
  • Once they are posted , your grades will appear on this screen.

10. Academic Probation Policy

Effective Fall 2011, if a student's GPA falls below a 3.0 the student will be put on academic probation. The student will have two semesters to raise their GPA above a 3.0, and will sign a contract to this effect. If the student's GPA is not above a 3.0 after this time, the student will be dismissed from the program.

11. What is the Individual Research Project?

After completing the required number of class credits, students each must complete a 3 Credit Individual Research Project (IRP) Seminar. Students may choose the topics of their Individual Research Projects by identifying a health-law-related situation at their workplaces and working toward a solution that benefits both them and their employers. Students may also choose scholarly topics of individual interest. Students initially present and discuss ideas for their projects at the second RI.

The course will be taken in seminar format. Students will work on their Individual Research Project for six months (January-July) and then present their project in July at the Residential Institute (RI). Attendance and presentation at the RI is required.

All courses must be successfully completed before students may register for the IRP.

12. What is the listserv?

The listserv is for your program office to convey information to every student within your program via email. Effective May 2011, we will only add a student's NSU email to the listserv.

Replying to a listserv email sends a copy of your email to every student within the program. Please do not reply to a listserv email. Instead, send a separate email to the person you wish to contact.

13. Do I need to use my NSU email account?

NSU (our program office, Financial Aid, Bursar's, etc) will only send emails to your or email address. Please be sure to check your NSU email account on a regular basis if you do not do so already by visiting:

To view a tutorial on how to use your NSU email account, please visit:

Only students' NSU email addresses will be added to the program listserv, so it is very important to check your NSU email account regularly to stay up to date on program information, such as registration, class access, etc.

14. Can I have email sent to my NSU email forwarded to a different email address?

Yes. To do this, please visit:

You must know your NSU email and password to enter this webpage

15. I have a new mailing address.

It is very important you keep your mailing address and telephone number up to date. To change your address:

  • Log into
  • Click on "Personal Information"
  • Click on "Update Address(es) and Phone(s)
  • To change any information, click on the "Current" link next to the address you would like to change.

16. I need to change my name.

NSU requires official documentation to make a name change. Please provide your previous and current names, NSU ID number, and official documentation (i.e., driver's license, marriage license, divorce decree, court order, etc.) in order to update your file. You may submit your information via facsimile @ (954) 262-2915 or via regular mail to:

Nova Southeastern University
Attn: Data Entry
Office of the University Registrar
3600 South University Drive
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 33328-2709

17. Who do I contact if I have a technical problem with Blackboard, Webstar or my NSU email?

If you experience a problem with Blackboard, Webstar or your NSU email account, please contact NSU's Help Desk. Phone: (954) 262-4357 or 1-800-541-6682, extension 24357 Email You may also visit:

They are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

18. Who do I contact if I need assistance with Legal Research (WestLaw, LexisNexis)?

You may contact Westlaw assistance at 1-800-937-8529 and LexisNexis assistance at 1-800-455-3947. Both are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

19. Who do I contact about financial aid questions (such as eligibility, disbursement dates, etc)?

If you have any questions regarding Financial Aid (student loans, etc), please contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance at 1-800-806-3680 or

20. When do I have to pay my tuition and fees?

The University Bursar's Office will apply a late fee and a hold to accounts that are past due 30 days from the beginning of the term. A hold is also placed on a delinquent account that prevents future registrations, viewing grades, ordering a transcript or diploma and prevents access to the NSU RecPlex.

21. How do I know how much I owe in tuition and fees?

The University Bursar's Office no longer mails out account statements/bills. Each time a billing statement is ready to be viewed (typically the 15th of every month), a courtesy email will be sent to the student's NSU email account. The student may also provide personal email addresses to which notification will be sent. In addition, students can designate authorized users, such as parents or a spouse, who will receive the notification. Student should not wait to receive a notification before paying their tuition and fees.

By logging onto NSU's eBill, available at, you will be able to view your account and make payments online.

22. Who do I contact if I have questions about tuition charges/payments/refunds?

Please contact the University Bursar's Office by phone at (954) 262-5200 or 800-541-6682 ext. 25200 or via email at

23. Who do I contact for tuition reimbursement documentation?

Please contact Sean Hyatt at (954) 262-25206 or 800-541-6682, extension 25206.

24. Office contacts

If you need to reach the program office, please give us a call or email us.

Main program office: 954-262-6161 or 1-800-541-6682 ext. 26161

25. How will my diploma read?

Your diploma will read: Master of Science

Your final transcript will show the degree conferred as: Master of Science in Law and Policy

26. Graduation/Degree Application Request Form

During your final semester, you must submit the Degree Application Request form.

Go to: to complete and submit the Degree Application Request form. Please note - there is no charge for our students to complete this form. You must submit this form online in order to receive a diploma.

27. What are the graduation requirements?

To be eligible for the M.S. Law and Policy degree, the student must fulfill the following requirements:

Satisfactorily complete the course of study required for the M.S. Law and Policy degree: a minimum of 36 semester hours of courses.

Successfully complete the Individual Research Project.
Complete and Submit the Application for Degree form. Meet all financial obligations to the University (tuition, fees, and miscellaneous charges).

28. What GPA do I need to have in order to graduate with honors?

A student graduates with honors by earning the following cumulative grade point average for coursework completed under the Master of Science in Law and Policy Program:

  • Cum Laude 3.60 - 3.74
  • Magna Cum Laude 3.75 - 3.90
  • Summa Cum Laude 3.91 - 4.00
Return to top of page